“I am always extremely happy with the selection of books I receive from the Library Service. The children love them and they are always of a high quality. This is a very valued service and I am always grateful that I am able to use it. The staff at the library are always incredibly helpful and efficient. They work very hard and do an excellent job
Why you should borrow from us instead of buying your own classroom books
For an average 2 form entry primary school, the equivalent cost of a year’s whole-school subscription would buy you approximately 1 bay of new books for your school from a bookshop. That’s just :
The same amount spent on a whole-school subscription from us (where every teacher is able to borrow) will bring your school :
Over 6 times as many books! We’re constantly updating and evolving our collection, and you get to change borrowed books as often as you like, so your collection always keeps up with your curriculum and the needs of new pupils. You also get:
- The option of librarians to select the books for you to save you valuable time
- Access to specialist collections including dual-language resources
- No late-fees for books
- Expert help with your school library
- Events and competitions
- FREE delivery and collection
- FREE or reduced price access to HEC Global Learning projects
For over 25 years, the Tower Hamlets Schools Library Services has been providing schools in London and the south east with teaching and learning resources, including books, artefacts, costumes and school librarians!
Our lending service is consistently rated as good or excellent by over 98% of users. We provide an annual programme of events to inspire and engage, and work in-school to ensure that our subscribers have the best possible school library.
Whether you need books and teaching resources for one classroom or every classroom, or you want to have a school library to wow pupils, parents and OFSTED, we can help at the best price for you.
Tower Hamlets Schools Library Service is a traded service within the London Borough of Tower Hamlets and provides learning resources, librarians and library-related advice and support to schools in London and the South East.
We aim to:
- To provide a wide range of high quality learning resources (for early years, primary, secondary and sixth form) that reflect our multicultural and diverse community in a balanced and accurate way, as an efficient, cost-effective way for schools to resource the curriculum and promote reading for pleasure
- To support schools in their aim to have excellent school libraries by providing professional advice and training on the management and organisation of learning resources and by supplying the services of a professional librarian to manage the school library on a regular basis
- To enrich the curriculum through global learning and pupil participation, helping young people make the connection between the local and the global
Our offer to you
Our resources collection
- Borrow books, artefacts, costumes and more for primary, secondary and special schools. Plus early years settings and other organisations. Each library user may borrow up to 70 items for the whole term – delivered to your school and collected.
- Our request for resources service. Tell us what you need and our expert librarians will select resources for delivery
- Average value of 70 items borrowed per term for a year equates to £2100 for each borrower. A substantial saving for your school budget
- Resources to enrich and raise attainment. Including support for Philosophy for Children (P4C), British values and The Global Dimension.
- Resources to promote race, religious, ethnic, gender, disability, LGBT, age and class equality
“The work of a School Librarian has the potential to make a huge contribution to the school in ways that I had not realised until we found ours. Her work has impacted directly on the children; their involvement and enthusiasm for reading as well as our participation in enrichment activities and the maintenance of the reading environment.”
Headteacher, Primary School in Tower Hamlets
We offer a comprehensive advisory service for all of your school library needs. Let us set up and help maintain an inspiring library that is the heart of your school.
- A professional librarian working in your school!
- School library staffing and training
- Reading promotion
- Library refurbishment and design
- Buying the right books
- Stock Audit
- Impartial library software support
- Literacy resources including Accelerated Reader, CLPE book bands (Which Book and Why) or Catch-Up reading schemes.
- Digital and information skills including Fake News, net savviness and independent learning
- Much more!
- An exciting calendar of events to inspire pupils for early years, primary, secondary and special schools.
- Includes poetry slams, creative writing, author visits and our book award
- Raise pupil confidence and attainment
How to subscribe or buy a service
Any school or organisation within Tower Hamlets, or within any local authority which does not already provide a schools library service, may subscribe to Tower Hamlets Schools Library Service or buy an advisory visit
- Tower Hamlets schools subscribe via SLA online.
- all other schools and settings, please either complete the form below, or telephone the library on 020 7364 6428
*amount based on a school with 20 staff borrowing