The aim of the book award is to encourage children to read, to bring children together to enable debate and discussion about books and to encourage children to share the pleasure of reading.
The shortlist for the Tower Hamlets Book Award 2009 was:
- David Almond – The Savage
- Damian Kelleher – Life, Interrupted
- Sally Nicholls – Ways to Live Forever
- Chris Wooding – Malice
- Jeff Kinney – Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Rodrick Rules
- Elizabeth Laird – Lost Riders
Maha Adan from Cyril Jackson Primary won the design-a-cover competition and St Pauls (Whitechapel) won the prize for the best presentation of their favourite book at the award finale at Idea Store Whitechapel on Friday.
Damian Kelleher and Sally Nicholls, two of the authors on the shortlist, were judges.