About the Book Award
“Children need to be enthused to read and if they are, this will become a springboard for their achievements throughout the curriculum.”
(Report of the Inquiry into Overcoming the Barriers to Literacy, All-Party Parliamentary Group for Education, 2011)
The annual Tower Hamlets Book Award is just one of the exciting events made possible by subscriptions to the Tower Hamlets Schools Library Services, and is a free event for subscribing schools.
The Book Award is for pupils aged 10 to 13. The aim is to encourage children to read, to bring children together to enable debate and discussion about books and to encourage children to share the pleasure of reading.
Why join in?
Because the award bridges primary and secondary schools, it encourages pupils from different phases to share in reading events and work together.
Schools who have taken part in the award have found it to be highly beneficial in encouraging children to broaden their reading range and develop their literacy – not just in reading but also in speaking and listening, as a core part of any book award is discussion and debate.
The award, and the primary and secondary book lists, encourage pupils to make their own choices about what they read, and to discover new and exciting authors and stories.
Schools have the opportunity to attend the grand finale, meet authors and generally have a great time.
- July : THBA Shortlist announced
- July : Make sure you’re on our Book Award mailing list so that you’re kept up-to-date about this event. Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- August : Pupils can read the shortlist as part of their Summer Reading Challenge (see Idea Stores and public libraries)
- September : Launch your book award reading groups
- October : Registration for the THBA Grand Finale opens
- If you’re taking part in the presentation competition, start planning your performances
- November : Join us at the grand finale
Full timeline will be made available in July
Make sure you’re on the Tower Hamlets Book Award mailing list.
- Email email@example.com so that you don’t miss out on any important updates.
Coming in July