We are thrilled to announce that Arts Council England has again awarded Tower Hamlets Schools Library Service with a grant to enhance our annual Creative Writing Competition with author-led creative writing workshops for schools, Idea Stores and home-educated children.
We last had an ACE grant in 2018, and are very grateful to the Education Safeguarding Team who partnered us last year when we were unsuccessful with ACE.
The theme is a closely guarded secret until 1st January 2020, but this is advance notice that in order to take advantage of these free author workshops, schools need to enter the competition by “buying” it via SLAonline (S0933 – Creative Writing Competition 2020) and letting us know who is to lead on organising the workshops.
The grant also enables us to produce a book of the winning entries.
In 2020 there will be 4 age groups in the competition:
- Group 1 : Years 1 & 2
- Group 2 : Years 3 & 4
- Group 3 : Years 5 & 6
- Group 4 : Secondary schools
- Write a short story up to 500 words (KS1/2) and 750 words (KS3)
- may also be an illustrated story or comic book
- Write a poem or verse story up to 25 lines (KS1/2) and 35 lines (KS3)
- Poems and stories must follow the competition theme
Pupils may enter both the short story and poetry categories. The competition deadline is Friday 3rd April 2020. Entrants should complete their work by 30th March in order for it to reach the Schools Library Service in time.
Registering for your free author workshops
The author workshops are intended to provide practical creative writing skills to your pupils (and teachers!) including structuring a story and character creation. The workshops will relate to the theme of the competiton but the skills learnt can be applied to other projects and lessons.
How will a visit to your school work?
- The school should suggest a date or (preferably) a range of dates during which you can host your visit. We will match you with an author based on your requirements and their availability.
- Workshops should take place from January to early March (excluding world book day week)
- An author will be able to work with up to 2 groups of pupils during their visit
- Each group of pupils can be up to the size of one class (maximum 30 pupils)
- Workshops can be for all ages from year 1 upwards
- Groups can be of mixed ages, although there shouldn’t be too wide a gap between these ages
- Workshops will be between 30 and 50 minutes depending on pupil age
Please note that the funding is to run practical writing workshops and not group talks/ assemblies.
If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 020 7364 6428