About the competition
The Tower Hamlets Creative Writing Competition is an annual event for schools in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets for students aged nine years to sixteen. Conceived in 2004 by Tower Hamlets Gifted and Talented strand of the Excellence in Cities programme, it has been run by Tower Hamlets Schools Library Service since 2011 with the aims of promoting wider reading and literacy, and to encourage young people to express themselves through the written word.
Research carried out during the 2018 competition showed that pupils participating in the competition and the author workshops benefited by gaining confidence in their writing ability and gaining greater insight into the issues raised by the competition themes.
- Entry form and information sheet
- 2019 Creative Writing Competition Summary sheet including ideas and prompts
NEW : KS1 categories
We are expanding the age range for primary schools, with all pupils in KS1 and KS2 eligible to take part.
- There will be 3 age groups in the competition :
- Group 1 : Years 1, 2 and 3
- Group 2 : Years 4, 5 and 6
- Group 3 : Years 7, 8 and 9
- Categories for each age bracket are poetry and short stories
- The winning entries will be published as an eBook as usual
The theme for 2019 is The Clothes I Am
- Register for the competition via SLA online (Tower Hamlets Schools) or by contacting the schools library service (non-borough schools)
- Inspire your pupils to write stories and/or poems around the competition theme
- Send the work to us by the end of the spring term for judging